It’s that time of year again when we look at our lives, decide what we hate, and make some false promises to ourselves that we will change it next year with the magic of ….. (dramatic pause for effect) …..The New Years’ Resolution (Da, da, Dahhhhh).
Does that sound like you? Don’t fret, I’ve got your back!
Christmas and New Year is a very tough time for a lot of people. It can trigger emotions that can cause real problems for people. Some people will genuinely be trying to set resolutions in 2019 that might save their life – and as a gift to you and the life you want for 2019 here are 10 Goal-setting Tips for your New Year Resolution success.
- Make only one resolution. Channel your energy into one positive change. You can always add others later in the year.
- Don’t wait until Jan 1st to think about how you plan to do it. Take some time out a few days/months before and think about what you want to achieve.
- Avoid ‘old’ resolutions. Try something new and prevent previous resolutions causing frustration and disappointment.
- Be your own boss. Don’t pick a resolution because that’s the one everyone else does, instead think about what you really want out of life.
- Think small not big. Break your goal into smaller steps and focus on creating sub-goals that are concrete, measurable and time-based.
- Own it. Tell your friends and family about your goals, you’re more likely to get support and want to avoid failure.
- Stay motivated with a checklist. List how achieving your resolution will help you and make your life better.
- Give yourself a small reward whenever you achieve a sub-goal. This will help to motivate you and give you a sense of progress (if your goal is weight loss do not reward with food …. from 20 years’ experience I can confirm it won’t work – sorry).
- Commit by making it visual. Keep a handwritten journal, complete a spreadsheet or cover a notice board with graphs or pictures – anything that forces you to commit, review and evaluate your plans and progress visually.
- Expect to revert to your old habits from time to time. You are only human, we like our comfort zone, habits are a comfort zone, even the bad ones. So treat any failure as a temporary setback rather than a reason to give up altogether.
In a nut shell: Resolutions Fail – Life Goals and Action Plans Succeed!
To genuinely achieve and succeed at changing negative elements of your life you need to be strategic and set Goals and Action Plans.
How many times have you failed to achieve the same New Year Resolution? If you want 2019 to be better than 2018 you need to start SMART, you need to plan your changes effectively before you start to put them in place.
You need to get focussed and realistic with yourself, most New Years’ resolutions fail because they are unrealistic, or they are too vague. We must know what we want, what we really, really want (Spice Girl Fan forever! – no shame!)
The biggest obstacle we face in achieving our goals – is ourselves. You’ve got this, you own your world, you own your life, you own your behaviours and you own your choices, so just own your goals too and get ready to be smug as hell when you achieve them and you become master of the successful New Years’ Resolution … you will have earnt it.
2019 is your year – if you get smart about it and get you sh*t together!