What is all the fuss about Coaching?
At the core of all my services is ‘coaching’, whether it be Business Coaching, Life Coaching or Career Coaching. I get asked all the time, “what are they?”, “what is the difference”, “which one do I need” and “which one would benefit me the most”. So, I have decided to approach that question and provide a simple answer, that I hope helps you to decide which coaching option is most beneficial for you.
So, let’s get cracking …
What is Coaching?
It is a facilitated process that supports clients to set and reach the goals needed to make the positive change in their life in order to live the life they want for themselves, through Guidance, Empowerment and Improvement. It focuses on the here and now, not the past or the too distant future. But its strength for the client is in the fact they are in control, they set the goals, they set the tasks to achieve them and they manage the process to achieving them.
The Coaching Relationship
The purpose of the coaching relationship is to support the coachee to achieve their goals. The coach and coachee will first come to an agreement about the nature of coaching. Coaching is a non-therapeutic intervention intended for coachees who wish to enhance their performance or improve their work or personal situation. Either the coachee or the coach can exit the coaching relationship without giving any reason, subject to appropriate notice being given.
What is the role of a Coachee in a coaching session?
- You only enter a coaching session as a coachee if you want and are ready to make some form of change in your life
- You as the coachee will set your own agenda
- You will work in partnership with myself as the coach to analyse and reflect on your own instincts and subconscious, to explore solutions, and in some cases ‘worst case scenarios’, in a safe environment, removing fears and empowering yourself to achieve success in one or more areas of your life.
- To attend coaching sessions as agreed
- To select topics for discussion
- To set and pursue meaningful goals
- To manage the coaching process (including timekeeping, and follow up plans)
- To undertake regular professional coaching supervision
- To maintain confidentiality (subject to certain exemptions)
What areas of my life can Coaching help me with?
- Life coaching – Empowering clients to make, meet and exceed goals across all aspects of their life. Life coaching can help with almost every aspect of a person’s life, whether it be personal or professional. A key aspect of Life Coaching is supporting people to build up their confidence and self-esteem to make the necessary changes for a more enjoyable life.
- Career Coaching – Working with clients to improve their work satisfaction, change jobs, or make a career change. Career coaching supports people to manage their careers whether they be Career beginners, Career Returners, or simply looking to change careers. Career coaching can support with all the fundamental preparation of job search, CV, application, assessment centres and Interview techniques. Career coaching focuses on helping people make positive changes within their current career path or onto a different one.
- Business Coaching & Executive Coaching – Powerful, focused and effective coaching for senior leaders to fulfil their potential. It supports business leaders to move the organization forward and provides a confidential senior sounding board for professional or personal change. A business coach will assist and guide the business owner in growing their business by helping them clarify the vision of their business and how it fits in with their personal goals.
What takes place in a Dalton Wise coaching session?
- The coaching session is a conversation between myself (the coach) and the client (you/coachee).
- Sometimes it is hard to see the ‘wood for the trees’ especially when everyday living in the modern world is so hectic, so the aim in my sessions is to help clear the ‘trees’ away so as the coachee you can see the ‘wood’ clearly again, and find your own solutions rather than have solutions forced upon you.
- As a coach I simply facilitate and support you as the coachee on your personal journey, with the understanding and belief that you always have the answers to your own problems but may need help to find them.
- In my sessions I aim to support you to find the answers for yourself
- We focus on creating balance across the 8 Dimensions of Wellness to support clients to focus on developing ‘Realistic Goals’ with ‘Tangible Outcomes’ related to a range of issues and life challenges, that generate increased levels of Stress, Anxiety and effect Confidence & Self Esteem.
The 8 Dimensions of Wellness:
- Physical Recognizing the need for physical activity, healthy foods, and sleep
- Emotional Coping effectively with life and creating satisfying relationships
- Social Developing a sense of connection, belonging, and a well-developed support system
- Intellectual Recognizing creative abilities and finding ways to expand knowledge and skills
- Occupational Personal satisfaction and enrichment from one’s work
- Spiritual Expanding a sense of purpose and meaning in life
- Financial Satisfaction with current and future financial situations
- Environmental Occupying pleasant, stimulating environments that support well-being